Saturday, April 3, 2010

Loving Mr. Darcy: Journeys Beyond Pemberely by Sharon Lathan

Mr. Darcy... the ultimate alpha male hero.  We all sighed at the end of Pride and Prejudice and wished there was more to the story.    Fortunately, there are many authors who have decided to write their versions of what happened next.  Sharon Lathan has a series of books that follows the Darcys as they get to know each other better and find their way as a couple.  One thing that I think readers should remember when delving into this spinoff genre is that it is pure fantasy written by someone other than Jane Austen.  I've read some unflattering reviews of books such as these because the writing is different than Austen or that Austen would never mention sex.  Well.... that's o.k. I'm not reading Jane Austen's version of what happened next.  I'm reading a fantasy of what might have happened next.


Loving Mr. Darcy is book two in Ms. Lathan's series.  It picks up about four months into their marriage.  There have been some difficulties (book one - Mr. & Mrs. Fitzwilliam Darcy: Two Shall Become One) that they have overcome and the Darcys are closer than ever.  This book continues to explore their relationship, follows them as they leave Pemberley to visit family in Hertfordshire and the Darcy house in London.  Through the book, you catch up with the Bingleys, the Bennets, extended family and even Lady Catherine.


I thoroughly enjoyed the book and the interaction between Elizabeth and Darcy.  Sometimes I found the endearments to be a bit much, but overall..I enjoyed the interaction.  Elizabeth is a wonderful counterpart to Darcy.  She's become more than adept at dealing with Darcy and his tendency towards overbearing.  Darcy has certainly met his match with Elizabeth and he is positively thrilled.  


The scenery descriptions are beautiful.  I had no problem picturing the landscape passing by the carriage as the traveled or the items in the stores as they shopped.


Overall, a lovely fanciful romance about Elizabeth & Darcy.  A fast read that leaves you ready to go buy book three as soon as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment